Thursday, July 31, 2008

Zucchini Bread

This time of year, when I have way more zucchini than I can deal with, one of the things I love to make is zucchini bread. If you've never had it, it's actually very good, and not zucchini-i at all. So I thought I'd share the recipe I use; I got it from my aunt, and I believe she got it from her Italian mother-in-law.

This makes 2 loaves, but I usually double it and give away some mini loaves.

-3 eggs
-1/2 cup oil (I do 1/4c. oil, 1/4c. apple sauce)
-1/4 cup pineapple juice

-1 tbsp. vanilla
-2 cups grated zucchini
-2 cups sugar
-3 cups flour (I do half whole wheat, half regular; it makes the bread a bit chewier, but I think it's still tasty)
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tbsp. cinnamon
-1/2 cup walnuts or other nuts (I'm not a fan of nuts in bread, so I don't add them, but everyone else in my family likes them!)
-opt. 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup crushed canned pineapple (I don't add the raisins, but I do add the pineapple)

Beat eggs, oil, juice, and vanilla.
Add rest, mix well.
Pour into greased loaf pans.
Bake @ 350 F for about 1 hour.
I love to eat it warm with some butter, but it's great on it's own too!

No comments: