Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Boo to Bottled Water


The No Impact Man blog has a post today about bottled water and using reusable bottles instead. The Center for a New American Dream has a campaign to Break the Bottled Water Habit that I think is great. Also on the blog is a very interesting video from Nightline everyone should watch.
Instead of entirely repeating what's over on that blog, I thought I'd share what I use and where to find it. For the past few years, I've been using my much loved Sigg bottle. As you can see, it's had a tough life! I take this thing everywhere - school, work, hikes, the beach, shopping, working out.. everywhere. I got it from this site. And last Christmas I bought one for Brian from here. Brian's bottle looks much, much worse than mine due to a little mishap with an exercise bike petal and the cement floor. :) They're aluminum, so they dent easily.
As much as I love my bottle, when this one kicks the bucket I think I'll replace it with a Klean Kanteen. I like that they're stainless steel and they aren't "coated with a patented secret formula liner" as the Siggs are, even if they promise they "will not leach anything harmful into your beverage". No thanks! ;)
So if you can, go read the post, take the pledge, watch the video, and feel good that you're no longer contributing to the 38 billion bottles that go into U.S. landfills each year. 38 billion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

38 billion?! Wow! I'm going to get one of those :)