Thursday, November 13, 2008

A confession...

I don't use shampoo!
I've been using baking soda and apple cider vinegar instead, and it's working so well, I'm still kind of shocked. I had a couple of weeks of weird hair (I think it might have been because I wasn't using enough vinegar), but now it's so great.. I'm glad I'm stubborn! lol

It doesn't get greasy anymore! I don't even have to wash it everyday.. right now I'm washing it every other day and just rinsing it with water on the days I don't wash, but I think soon I'll be able to wash even less. And I have long hair too.. I just can't believe how well it's working. I even met some friends at the bar last week and afterwards my hair didn't reek of cigarette smoke (which it usually does!).

I had been wondering how to do this for a while, and I happened upon a post on the Angry Chicken blog with a link to more information, which was quite helpful.

But here's how I do it (based largely on the info from the link):

- I have a big water jug with a sports top that I fill with a mixture of 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon baking soda. My jug holds 4 cups, so I mix 4 cups water and 4 tablespoons baking soda so I don't have to worry about it every day. The baking soda will dissolve in the water and it'll just look like water.
- For the apple cider vinegar, I have a spray bottle that I fill with a mixture of 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon vinegar. This bottle also holds 4 cups.
- On the days I wash my hair, I just open the sports top of the jug and pour the baking soda mixture all over my hair and massage it in (I don't use the entire bottle, I probably use about 1 cup of the mixture each time I wash). Sometimes I let it sit for a minute or so, other times I just rinse it. Depends on how dirty my hair is.
- Then I just spray the vinegar mixture in my hair, making sure it gets everywhere (again, not the entire bottle). In that link I gave with more info I think she said she doesn't use the vinegar every time she washes, but I do. Without it I find that my hair feels rough and dry. The vinegar makes it soft and shiny and it doesn't seem like it's hurting my hair at all. And the vinegar smell goes away! Promise!
- I don't use hair spray or anything else in my hair, so I can't say how that would affect it. That site said to stop drying your hair with a hair dryer, but I've been drying mine and it seems fine. I just let it air dry a little longer and use the hair dryer to get the dampness out.

I know it might sound crazy, but try it, it works!

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi! I just found you by clicking on "graphic design" in my profile and when I saw your interests, and that you're in Michigan, I came on in.

You have a wonderful blog, just lovely. That header is stunning.

My daughter has an Etsy site too.

Ok, I tried this no-poo thing too and blogged about it. I was so excited. But after giving it a few weeks, my hair just felt dry. I might have had too much baking soda. Dunno. But I gave up. :( I did continue using a combo of olive oil and castor oil to cleanse my face. Have you tried that? In the winter I use more olive oil than castor, like 3 to 1, since castor oil is quite astringent.

I'll be back. Now I'm going to browse.

Leah said...

Thank you Ruth!!

I haven't tried the olive oil and castor oil.. do you just rub it on and then rinse it off? My skin gets so dry in the winter, this would probably help wouldn't it? I'll have to look into it, thanks for the tip!

Ruth said...

I mix up the parts of oil in a little container. I pour a little in my palm, then rub it in my hands, then smooth it on my face. I massage my face with it for a bit. Then with a hot facecloth I cover my face and hold it there for a few seconds, making a little sauna. Then I massage my face with the facecloth, wiping off makeup and most of the oil. What's left is a nice soft feeling.

But I was getting a little dry when I used the recommended equal parts of the two oils. So my friend suggested increasing the olive oil.

I haven't gone through the regimen in the winter yet. I get very dry. I've noticed already that I need to use moisturizing cream now, after cleansing with the oils. I would like to find another natural solution for that too. I suppose I could rub a little more olive oil into my skin, but I haven't wanted to get oil on my pillow before bed.

Leah said...

Thank you! I'll have to try that tonight.

Estrella Azul said...

Oh my gosh that's sooo good!
I also found the babyslime journal and after trying it a few times I posted about it too.
I'm just so happy with the result! Now I'm trying to convert anyone who would listen to me :P

~ NappyMama ~ said...

I use the baking soda and ACV wash too. I change up between that and Dr. Bronners liquid soap. I have a smaller bottle that was empty (of the Dr. Bronners) and I put maybe 2 Tbsp of the soap in it and the rest was water. I use this on my hair when I wash instead of the ACV and Baking Soda. The Dr Bronners is also what I use on my body.

I have started using organic coconut oil on my face, hands and feet since it's winter time and they're so dry that my hands split open at the knuckles if I don't do something.